Monday, April 12, 2010

Traveling with the Magoos

Oh man, I am wiped out.  As of 5:30pm (MST) my life in Colorado began.  
This of course only began after making it from Lima, Peru to Toronto, Canada to Ft. Wayne, Indiana to Detroit, Michigan to Denver, Colorado. 

The travel was fine, but tiresome...and not just because I was traveling with my parents. And mom, I know you're reading this, so I'm just going to have to mention today's major travel highlights with you guys-Baggage Confusion, rental car confusion, security hold-ups...Sorry Mom, but it's the truth, and thus the reason for the blog title.

Anyway, things I think are starting to seem a little brighter for my future in the US.  I still don't know exactly where my place in this world is yet, but heck, there was a time when I didn't know where my place in Peru was either.  I've been reading alot lately about what some people refer to as "re-entry shock" or "reverse culture shock.

 In a nutshell, it's the feelings of shock that you experience after moving back to your homeland/state/etc. after being in a different culture or environment for awhile.  It's really interesting to read about...well, it is to me anyway, and actually it has been quite helpful for validating all the feelings I've had these past 5 days.  Anyway, one of the most helpful parts has been the suggestion to think about moving back as if you were beginning on another new cultural experience.  In other words, attack the United States as if it were a completely new country. 

So in my new country, I have learned that I have no idea how to work an HD television.  I'm quite bad at it actually.  Also, I get overwhelmed with all the food/drink options.  All I really want is chicha morada and lomo saltado. But I do appreciate the fact that I will be sleeping on an incredibly comfortable mattress tonight after a very tumultuous week.  Sweet Dreams!

0 comments:

Post a Comment