Sunday, May 2, 2010

Consider my mouth agape...

I just can't pass this up. It's too much.

I haven't been able to wrap my head around this since it happened.

I have to blog this.

I just returned from visiting my brother, sister-in-law and new niece in Ft. Wayne, Indiana (again) and it just so happened that the same weekend we were there, Vera Bradley summoned her legions to the same city for her annual outlet sale.

Friends, I cannot tell you how crazed some women will get over the promise of 40-75% savings on these products. I myself don't really understand it. Maybe there's something that I'm not seeing in these paisley paroxysms; a hidden message within the quilting perhaps?

Well, in any case, the point is that 65,000 women drove from different states...even different countries (ok fine, probably just Canada) to camp out overnight in order to get into this sale where they will then have to wait in a check-out line for FOUR HOURS. I heard on the news that the spending limit per person is $2,500; but some lady got together a group of people and bought Fifteen THOUSAND dollars worth of Vera Bradley products.

So you know I just got back from Peru, and this is one of my culture shock moments.  I'm trying my best not to make too many comparisons between Peru and the US, but good grief!

Just to know that someone will put that much effort into one day of shopping for products from one designer. In Peru, $15,000 could buy a family of 6 adults 937.5 days worth of generously sized restaurant meals (3 meals a day). That's food for a family of 6 for like...2 and a half years! YEARS!!!!!!

Ok...even blogging about it doesn't help me understand it any better. I think I'm just going to have to let this one go...

1 comments:

Grace G said...

Yeah, I don't get Vera Bradley either. It's big in the South, but I've never really like it. It's expensive and not terribly cute, so I'm with you- not sure how you could drop so much cash on a cloth paisley purse.

Post a Comment