Friday, May 21, 2010

Culture shock moment #18,848 (but who's counting)

You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose.
But can you pick out a brand of mouthwash in less than 20 minutes?


In the United States, US Americans are surrounded by options.  A lot of them.

One of my recent culture shock adventures has been finding myself on a number of occasions staring at the (too many) options ahead of me.

It's pretty bad with restaurant menus.  In Peru, your menu was written on a chalkboard.  You normally had about 2 or 3 options to choose from.  Normally you pick a restaurant based on walking distance and/or the menu for the day.  In the United States, you might have 55 (or more) choices at any given restaurant.  And how many restaurants might there be within a short driving distance?"  A lot.  That's how many.

Yesterday, I found myself overwhelmed with all the options for mouthwash.  Would I like Antiseptic or Whitening? Spring mint or Ice mint?  Name brand or generic?  And I literally stood for 15 minutes at King Soopers with a partially opened mouth I'm sure, just trying to decide, and feeling utterly lost about making the best decision for my oral care. 

And do you know what?   There are even more options for deodorant than there are for mouthwash.

I miss bodegas.

1 comments:

Julie said...

you know that you dont just miss bodegasss... you miss.... the mini market... las ofertas! and the three curiously funny workers there. especially tattoo man. i know you remember him. i know you miss him. and the guy up front with all the muscles that watched soap operas in the afternoon. hehe. but really i miss that market too. you just dont get that kind of service in wong. you just dont. and plaza vea? peor.

miss you friend.
ps im saving the cranberries for a special day... maybe a day when i make food just for me and i can eat a huge salad. because jultons just not the type of guy to sit down and eat a salad big enough that you had to look for the biggest pot in the kitchen to contain it.

:D thanks for those!

Post a Comment